Monday, May 23, 2011

Domesticity As An Art


Moving gets me in the mood to decorate. I'm watching HGTV again, scouring all the DIY books and magazines. I love it!

Then I found this gem of a book at our local library. Ironically the author started out as as a blogger. Her photos are wonderful and it's one of those books that's nice to look at and read. (I finished it while sitting in the dentist office waiting for my kiddos.)

"Domesticity as an art..." The domestic life, the domestic housekeeper, domestic pleasures.

do-mes-tic/ adjective: Of or relating to the running of a home or to family relations.

And isn't that what we mothers do? Aren't we the "domestic engineers" of our homes? Is it not us that keeps the cogs of this well-oiled "machine" (called our household) running?

These days haven't we taken what used to be the mundane and turned it into something we love? There's nothing wrong with loving the walls that we look at or trying to beautify our spaces. How about getting creative with our baking, so it becomes a kid-friendly activity instead of another task on our to-do lists.

I understand that times have changed and many mothers work outside the home now, but we can still turn the menial things we do (that relate to housework) into something we actually like.

In the end whether it's a new recipe or organizing your child's bedroom, if you put your heart into it, it can be meaningful, it can be pleasurable and maybe even artful.


3 comments:

April said...

Hey Suzanne...I'm popping over from SITS to pay you a visit! Too funny that you commented right before I did! I have always put my HEART and soul into our home...and raising our girls. I truly believe that makes all the differnce in the world.

Suzanne said...

Right back atcha April! Trying to reconnect with my communities before I head off to work! Too funny!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Love this post, Suzanne. Domestic engineers have the most important job in the world!

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?