If you want an easy, but elegant dish to serve for breakfast or brunch, try this baked french toast recipe. I used frozen berries and made it the night before which made it even simpler. Please note that I almost always use skim milk and I save the ends of bread loaves, freeze them until I have enough to make this recipe!
Butter for greasing the pan
3 C milk
3/4 C maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon + 1 Tbsp for later
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 C fresh or frozen berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries)
6 Tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the 9x13 pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Add milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Add bread cubes until fully coated. Stir in frozen berries and pour into prepared pan.
3. In a small bowl mix sugar and 1 Tbsp of cinnamon, sprinkle on top.
4. You can bake this right away, or refrigerate overnight. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
5. Drizzle with extra maple syrup when serving.
Adapted from Food Network's Giada De Laurentiis' recipe.
Thanks to all the bloggers who emailed me or left a comment about wanting this recipe. Enjoy!