Friday, March 30, 2012

When In Wisconsin...


...do as the Wisconsinites do?

Hey-Oh! Husband's Spring Break. Destination? Appleton and Green Bay, Wisconsin. Why? Beer

I always look forward to this time of year when we get a breather from running 3 kids in 3 different directions and instead get a little alone time that isn't dependent on a bedtime schedule.

We decided to work and play, which meant visiting some local microbreweries. I actually don't drink much beer, but I've been learning a lot about the brewing process since
I now have a brewery as a client.


I don't think taste-testing beer is that much different than wine. The characteristics are similar; appearance, aroma, taste/finish and how some foods mesh better with some beers, and others don't.

The one thing I do know is what I like, and I love to taste a beer that has a great deal of "hoppiness." This references the hops which provide an herbal, crisp, bitter palate cleansing effect to beer.

I've also discovered that there are possibly as many varieties of beer as there is wine! Fascinating!

Two years ago, we discovered Door County and thus began our wine tasting experience. It was one of the best times Husband and I had together.


I have to admit, I get a kick out of the beer names too. The beer pictured above is an IPA called "Hopasaurus Rex," one of the many favorites at Titletown Brewing Company in Green Bay.




These names come from the Stone Celler Brew Pub in Appleton, Wisconsin.


But enough of that, now that my week has come to an end, I guess I can relax a little and read the "Hunger Games" with the rest of the world.


Thanks to my eldest daughter who has gotten me hooked!


Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Loved The Hunger Games! Fantastic book series:-)

Esther said...

Mmmm, that vanilla stout sounds wonderful.

Adam Lofquist said...

Suzanne,

My name is Adam and I work at Titletown Brewing Company. Great blog post and thank you for mentioning us and we are glad to hear you enjoyed our beer. Hope you had a great spring break.

Suzanne said...

Thanks Adam! We love your beer, the food and the service there!

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?