Adapted from a Parents magazine recipe six years ago, I make these tasty morsels every Valentine's Day. 'Love Bites' are yummy little heart-shaped shortbread cookies filled with nonpareils. Delightful, delicious.
Love Bites (makes a little over 2 dozen)
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1/4 C confectioner's sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C pink or red nonpareils
- light corn syrup
- pink crystal sugar
- In a bowl, use your mixer to beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Mix in nonpareils. Toll dough to 1/2" thickness between 2 sheets of wax paper. Refrigerate for 3 hours or up to 3 days.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out dough into heart shapes and transfer to baling sheet. Bake 14-18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- (Optional) Brush edges with corn syrup and then dip into crystal sugar. (Pictured above, I sprinkled the crystal sugar on top and baked it. Easier I think, and no added corn syrup!)